The thyroid, the hormone regulator of your body, produces thyroid hormones that regulate metabolism, energy levels, & mood changes. It serves many other purposes. Thyroid problems start when the thyroid gland fails to function, leading to an imbalance in thyroid hormone production. While your gender, age, medical history, iodine levels, & pregnancy, etc., are some factors responsible for thyroid disorders, they could also be hereditary.
What is Hereditary Thyroid?
Hereditary Thyroid is the one that passes down through families from one generation to another due to several genetic factors. Some inherited gene mutations or variations can disrupt the structure or function of thyroid glands. It can cause hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism.
So, now the question is there any way one can prevent oneself if the thyroid is in their genes or hereditary?
It is not entirely preventable, but some dietary or lifestyle changes can minimize your risks. In this blog, let’s discuss 10 effective strategies to prevent hereditary thyroid disorders and maintain optimal thyroid health.
Thyroid Profile Test
- Total no.of Tests - 3
- Quick Turn Around Time
- Reporting as per NABL ISO guidelines
10 Powerful Ways To Prevent Hereditary Thyroid Disorders:
- Maintain A Balanced Diet: A balanced diet is a foremost factor that helps maintain thyroid gland health. Indulge in high in iodine, antioxidant-rich, high-fiber, omega-3-rich & zinc-rich foods to support healthy thyroid function. Want to know more about the foods that can manage thyroid levels, check this insightful blog: https://redcliffelabs.com/myhealth/food-and-nutrition/food-for-thyroid/best-and-worst-foods-for-thyroid-patients-available-at-your-home/.
Remember, these foods cannot prevent hereditary thyroid disorders but can minimize your risks of getting affected by the disease.
- Monitor Iodine Intake: While iodine is essential for thyroid health, excessive or insufficient iodine levels can adversely affect thyroid health. Therefore, understanding your specific thyroid needs, avoiding excessive intake, and being mindful of your diet is essential to maintain balance and minimizing your risks for hereditary thyroid disorders.
- Manage Stress Levels: Chronic stress is another factor that increases one’s risk of developing thyroid disorders. Reducing stress levels and keeping them balanced is essential to support thyroid health and minimize your risks of developing hereditary thyroid problems.
- Regular Exercise: Engaging physical activities in your routine is another factor that can minimize your risks for thyroid disorders. Regular exercise keeps hormone levels regulated, boosts metabolism & promotes overall well-being.
- Avoid Environmental Toxins: Normal thyroid functions can also be disrupted due to certain environmental factors, such as pesticides, pollutants, etc. Therefore, limiting exposure to such toxins, ensuring indoor air quality, and using eco-friendly products are some easiest yet most effective ways to minimize your risks for hereditary thyroid diseases.
- Get Adequate Sleep: While sleep disturbance or poor sleep quality may not directly cause hereditary thyroid disorders, but can disrupt hormone imbalance, increases risks, and contributes to overall health issues. Therefore, maintaining sleep is essential to reduce your risks & support your overall well-being.
- Regular Thyroid Check-Ups: If thyroid disorders are in your genes, keeping a tab on your thyroid functioning is essential to assess your condition, detect potential abnormalities early and take charge of the situation. Therefore, if you have a family history of the problem or have symptoms indicating thyroid problems, regular thyroid tests can help. For a reliable Thyroid Profile Test, Redcliffe Labs is the best Omnichannel Pan India Diagnostic Service Provider that you can count on.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking does no good for your health and is also linked to thyroid dysfunction. If you are into smoking, quitting is essential to reduce your risks of developing thyroid disorders, especially if it is hereditary.
- Genetic Counseling: Individuals with a family history of thyroid problems should consider genetic counseling. It can provide insights into a genetic predisposition to thyroid problems that can help prevent & manage it better.
- Limit Goitrogenic Foods: Hereditary Thyroid Disorders are primarily caused due to genetic factors, and limiting Goitrogenic foods alone cannot prevent them from developing. However, balancing its intake can support overall thyroid health.
Why Choose Redcliffe Labs?
Redcliffe Labs is India’s fastest growing diagnostics service provider having its home sample collection service in more than 220+ cities with 80+ labs across India.
NABL accredited labs
Most affordable Prices
Free Home Sample Pickup
Painless Sample Collection
Get Reports In 24 hours
It is critical to understand that following all the above strategies can only minimize your risks to a possible extent and not prevent it. Consulting your healthcare practitioner regarding the same is always advisable for personalized advice & continuing practicing a healthy lifestyle to support good thyroid health.
Awareness Is The First Step To Managing Conditions Better!
Since awareness is the key to understanding and managing the disease well, every year, the 25th of May is observed as World Thyroid Day to raise awareness about the disease, its symptoms, causes & treatment options. So, be a part of the movement, raise awareness, and make a difference.