According to WHO statistics, about 9.6 % of men and 18% of women over 60 years suffer from Osteoarthritis worldwide. In India, Osteoarthritis is the second most prevalent rheumatologic problem, affecting 22 to 39 percent of the population, making it the most common joint disease in the country.
While you may not have control over the weather, if you experience flare-ups of rheumatoid arthritis during cold and rainy days, knowing the causes and reasons might help you reduce stiffness and pain.
Higher humidity levels, atmospheric pressure, temperature change, and precipitation significantly impact arthritis patients. Morning joint stiffness is often seen during the rainy season. Arthritis pain makes your joints less flexible and mobile.
Here in this blog, let’s discuss what experts say about the rise in cases of arthritis during rain.
Rheumatoid Factor (RA) Quantitative Test
- Total no.of Tests - 1
- Quick Turn Around Time
- Reporting as per NABL ISO guidelines
How Does Humidity Affect Rheumatoid Arthritis?
Changes in atmospheric pressure during the rainy season may cause the expansion of tissues and may lead to increased swelling and inflammation in the joints. Furthermore, sudden changes in temperature during the monsoon also affect the viscosity of the joint fluid and cause severe joint pain and stiffness.
Experts agree that more research is needed to determine how weather may be linked to arthritis symptoms or why it affects some patients more. Still, there are a few reasons mentioned by the experts.
- Changes in barometric pressure: One of the most common reasons is the change in barometric pressure. When air pressure decreases, it leads to clouds and rain; high-pressure areas are usually clear and calm. Fluctuation in air pressure makes your muscles, tendons, and scar tissue expand and contract, leading to joint pain in individuals affected by arthritis.
- Sedentary Lifestyle: Due to inactivity during humid, cold, and rain, the inactive joints become more stiff and painful.
- Dehydration: You might not feel thirsty during monsoon, but it is essential to drink enough water. With increased humidity during the rainy season, the body loses more sweat. Dehydration might increase arthritis symptoms.
- Lack of nutritious Diet: During rain, people often crave outside food, which impacts their health and may intensify their pain.
- Smoking: Smoking may worsen arthritis as it can cause inflammation that affects the joints.
- Consumption of Alcohol: Alcohol increases uric acid levels in the body, triggering arthritis. Hence avoid alcohol consumption to relieve the symptoms.
- Mood Changes: Weather may affect the mood, altering pain perception. Bad weather may lead to a bad mood, indirectly affecting arthritis symptoms.
Symptoms Of Arthritis
Humidity can significantly impact Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA). However, the symptoms might differ from person to person. Here are some common symptoms:
- Joint Stiffness
- Sleep Disturbance
- Swelling and Tenderness
- Early morning stiffness or after sitting for a long time
Ways To Stop Joint Pain During Rain
People are less likely to go out and be active on cold and rainy days. Lack of physical activity may aggravate the pain and stiffness in joints. When you are experiencing severe pain during the monsoon, you can follow the below tips to ease your joint pain.
- Exercise regularly: Being physically active strengthens your muscles and bones and reduces pain. Do a few stretches, walk, and exercise to keep your muscles moving.
- Eat healthy: Take a nutritious, balanced diet. Avoid unhygienic and unhealthy food to maintain your weight and healthy lifestyle.
- Heat compress: Warm compresses and hot showers can help to relax the muscle and reduce pain.
- Stick to your treatment plan: Stick to your medications prescribed by doctors, get enough sleep, and maintain a healthy weight.
- Stay hydrated: Get yourself hydrated even if you are not feeling thirsty. Proper hydration may relieve your joint pain.
- Dress properly: Wear loose and cozy clothes to protect against cold and dampness.
- Rest and Relax: Get enough rest and practice relaxation techniques to manage pain and stress.
Arthritis is commonly seen in women as compared to men. Climate change may intensify your joint pain, so it is advised to be extra vigilant during the rainy season.
Are you still trying to figure out the Cause of Pain?
If you are facing arthritis discomfort when it rains, take preventive precautions to reduce your pain. Also, be mindful of taking other steps to stay healthy. With little preparation and planning, you can be more comfortable whatever the weather brings. Talk to your doctor to discuss the discomfort and pain you are facing. You can also book a Rheumatoid Factor (RA) Quantitative Test from Redcliffe Labs to know the actual cause of your health condition.
Why Choose Redcliffe Labs?
Redcliffe Labs is India’s fastest growing diagnostics service provider having its home sample collection service in more than 220+ cities with 80+ labs across India.