Thyroid disease is quite common worldwide, and India has not remained untouched by increased incidences of thyroid disorders. It has been projected that around 42 million Indians suffer from these disorders. Also, five key thyroid illnesses are prevalent in India, such as hypothyroidism, goiter, hyperthyroidism, iodine deficiency disorders, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, and thyroid cancer.
The most prevalent is hypothyroidism, and early detection and treatment are the cornerstones of its management. If the thyroid remains undiagnosed, you can experience weight gain, brain fogging, anxiety, and muscle weakness. The disturbing situation is that many people know that they are suffering from this illness. Hence, it is essential to diagnose this disease and get medical treatment from the best doctor for thyroid in Hyderabad. You can book a thyroid blood test in Hyderabad with Redcliffe Labs at an affordable price.
What Happens, If Thyroid Remains Undiagnosed:
The undetected levels of thyroid can result in devastating results in terms of cardiac disorder, infertility, and osteoporosis. Having autoimmune conditions like Grave’s disease or Hashimoto’s thyroiditis enhances the risk of developing lupus, celiac disorder, and rheumatoid arthritis.
The treatment and early detection may reverse the disease course and protect from long-term risks. This disease develops gradually with certain vague signs. You might experience depression or tiredness. The changes in thyroid levels can be screened in blood tests. If the changes can be diagnosed at early stages, it can avoid life-long severe consequences.
Hypothyroidism: Most common and prevalent thyroid disorder
Hypothyroidism is an underactive thyroid condition in which the gland does not synthesize adequate hormones. The untreated disorder can cause joint pain, obesity, cardiac disease, and infertility. Blood tests help to identify the severity and cause of the disease. The thyroid specialist in Hyderabad will discuss your family & medical history. Also, it is quite essential to convey to the doctor that from how long you are experiencing the signs.
Complications of Hypothyroidism
If hypothyroidism is left untreated, it can cause various complications. Hence, it is quite important to understand the signs and get regular screening done to prevent the onset of complications that are discussed below:
- Birth defects- The untreated thyroid disorder in pregnant women can lead to birth defects in the unborn baby. The babies might suffer from physical and mental development issues. The thyroid function test comes under the regimen of the newborn screening test.
- Goiter- The thyroid may produce an excess number of hormones, and adequate stimulation may lead to enlargement of the thyroid gland exhibiting a bulge in the neck region.
- Cardiac problems- Hypothyroidism can influence heart health. The underactive thyroid increases the risk of cardiac disorder by raising bad cholesterol. The hardening of arteries may result in the hardening of arteries resulting in atherosclerosis.
- Infertility- Low thyroid levels affect ovulation and reduce the chances of getting pregnant. The treatment also doesn’t guarantee that the female will become fertile.
- Mental health issues- It can cause depression and deterioration in cognitive functioning if left untreated.
- Myxedema- The condition develops if hypothyroidism is left untreated for a long duration. It is life-threatening and results in slow metabolism that the person can go into a coma. If you feel cold tolerance or extreme fatigue, take advice from a thyroid specialist in Hyderabad.
The main aim is to prevent hypothyroidism complications with the right medical care. The condition is treatable as it affects daily life.
Top 10 thyroid doctors in Hyderabad
- Dr. Bipin Kumar Sethi
- Dr. Faraz Farishta
- Dr. KD Modi
- Dr. Griddaluru Veera Chanakya
- Dr. H. Babul Reddy
- Dr. Rakesh Sahay
- Dr. V. Sri Nagesh
- Dr. Shyam Sunder Kalavalapalli
- Dr. P. Sudhakar Reddy
- Dr. Mallikarjuna Goud Gantena
Things to consider while discussing family and personal medical history
It is essential to convey your family and medical history to a physician. You may discuss the following things:
- Your health status, especially any changes in your overall health
- Family’s health history if your close relative is diagnosed with hypothyroidism.
- If you had thyroid surgery.
- The medicines that can cause hypothyroidism like lithium, amiodarone, interleukin-2, and more.
Physical examination: Look for key symptoms
The thyroid specialist doctor in Hyderabad performs an examination and looks for physical symptoms such as
- Swelling around legs and eyes
- Dry skin
- Slow reflexes
- Slow heart rate
Blood tests for the detection of hypothyroidism
Different blood tests can diagnose hypothyroidism, and here is a list of various blood tests done to detect thyroid levels.
- TSH- A blood test analyzes T4 levels and detects the abnormally high quantity of TSH blood levels.
- T4- The thyroid gland also synthesizes free T4; this test is also required to know the functioning of your thyroid gland.
- T3- T3 levels are used to detect hyperthyroidism and overactive thyroid. It is not helpful to see hypothyroidism.
- Antibody tests- This test determines the underlying cause of thyroid problems. The positive anti-thyroid peroxidase with hypothyroidism leads to the detection of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Also, TSH receptor antibodies may be positive in individuals with Grave’s disease.
- Radioactive Iodine test- The test for T4 involves engulfing a small amount of radioactive iodine. The radioactivity enables clinicians to monitor the movement of iodine. The measurement of radioactivity taken by the gland determines its functioning of the gland. The low iodine levels signify hypothyroidism, and the high level indicates hyperthyroidism.
- At-home tests- Various home test kits for thyroid function use a finger prick to draw blood drops and send them to the lab for analysis.
These tests are meant to measure thyroid levels but cannot diagnose a condition. You can take advice from the best doctor for thyroid in Hyderabad.
If you want to lead a healthy and stress-free life, it is vital to get tested and treated for your thyroid disorders. This illness may affect the overall quality of life and metabolism of the body. So, you must get advice from a thyroid specialist in Hyderabad for its proper management.
- What does a hypothyroid do to a person?
Hypothyroidism is when the thyroid gland does not release and create sufficient thyroid hormone in the blood, causing slow metabolism. It is an underactive thyroid and can make you tired, unable to tolerate cold temperatures, and gain weight.
- Can the thyroid go away?
Thyroid management can be done with testing and treatment from thyroid specialists in Hyderabad. The clinician will prescribe medicine that will continue lifelong, and the thyroid does not go on its own as it requires medical attention.
- Which organs get affected by hypothyroidism?
The condition usually affects the circulatory system and heart in various ways. The low production slows heart rate making arteries less elastic and leading to hypertension and cardiac disorders.
- What are the early signs of thyroid disorders?
The warning signs are weight gain, fatigue, weight loss, fluctuations in heart rate, and sensitivity to heat and cold. These signals depend on the level of thyroid in your blood.