Type 2 diabetes is a severe health condition in which sugar or glucose levels build up in the bloodstream. Generally, the hormone insulin helps move glucose from the bloodstream to cells, which is used for energy. But body cells of people having this condition cannot respond to insulin as they should. People may also not produce enough insulin with the condition in later stages. If not treated or not controlled, type 2 diabetes can lead to chronically high blood glucose levels that can affect many other body organs and can damage them. However, the condition can be managed by adding the best veggies and fruits for type 2 diabetes to your daily diet. It is necessary to know the symptoms and causes of Type 2 diabetes to understand it well.
Symptoms of type 2 Diabetes
The condition is very common, and the symptoms of type 2 diabetes can be mild during the early stages, but if not managed properly, it can make the condition worse. Many don’t even realize that they have this condition. Thus it is important to know about all the symptoms of type 2 Diabetes to understand it well and to notice the warning signs on time:
- People need to urinate more frequently, particularly at night.
- Frequent urination can cause losing water from the body, which causes dehydration, and thus a person feels more thirsty.
- People with Type 2 diabetes can experience frequent hunger as they cannot get enough energy from their food. It is better to add the best fruits for diabetics type 2 to manage this hunger.
- The condition can impact a person’s energy levels and can cause fatigue.
- Excess sugar levels can affect a person’s eyesight and cause blurry vision. If the condition goes untreated, it can have adverse effects, damage blood vessels, and cause permanent vision loss.
- People with type 2 diabetes can damage the body’s nerves and blood vessels, which can impair blood circulation. Small cuts and wounds of these people may take weeks or months to heal.
- People also experience patches of darker skin, especially on the neck and armpit, which are soft and velvety in texture.
Type 2 diabetes is one of the most common diseases nowadays, and everybody needs to notice the early symptoms. However, you can easily control the early diabetic stage with some lifestyle changes and diet patterns. For example, you can include many fruits that can do not affect glucose levels and are best for your health.
Vital Screening Package
- Total no.of Tests - 82
- Quick Turn Around Time
- Reporting as per NABL ISO guidelines
Food choices and type 2 diabetes and how to prevent it
People with type 2 diabetes must take care of their food choices as it greatly impacts the condition. They should be conscious of what to eat, how to eat, and when. The foremost step to manage the condition is to know how food affects the blood glucose levels. You can manage it by making some alterations in diet and lifestyle and adding a list of fruits diabetics can eat.
How to prevent the diabetic condition?
Preventing Type 2 diabetes is the best way to stay away from it. Having this condition indicates that your body does not control glucose on its own, which can lead to serious health issues when it is high for too long. It is vital to control glucose through diet, exercise, and medicine. Including the best fruits for diabetics type 2 is the best way to prevent it.
- Controlling carbohydrates in your body is great for your health and has the biggest effect on your glucose levels. There are many fruits for diabetes that help to control it effectively.
- Insulin helps glucose levels move from the blood into muscle cells which it can use for energy. There are some medicines for diabetes that can help them control. It is necessary to know what fruits are good for diabetics Type 2 to help them manage.
- People with Type 2 diabetes should have a proper meal plan to manage it well. With medicines, it is best to eat the right food in the right amount and at the perfect time to keep the glucose level stable. It is also necessary to make a proper exercise plan, as it will help them control.
- It is necessary to eat smart to manage the condition and have to watch for certain details carefully. Try to include a variety of fruits or fruit juice for diabetes. People must focus on healthy foods to manage them well. They must include whole grains, non-fat dairy products, lean meats, fish, eggs, and peas.
Role of fruits to manage type 2 diabetes
Fruits are considered healthy owing to their high antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, fiber and phytochemical contents. Many fruits have high sugar content and which can be a big concern for people with diabetes. Thus, it is necessary to know the best fruits for diabetics type 2 if you want to prevent or manage the condition effectively. Fruits are considered healthy, have a low energy density, and are highly satiating because of their water and fiber content. About 80 percent of fruit mass contains water and is counted among fibre-rich food and vegetables. It contains vitamins B, C, and E, beta carotene, folate, and minerals like K and Mg. There are many fruits people with diabetes can eat because it contains fats, saturated fatty acids, cholesterol, and sodium in it.
Fruits and their glycemic index
The Glycemic index is a tool to monitor one’s blood sugar levels as it measures the spike in blood sugar after having a specific food group[. The GI of any item can range from 0 to 100 0 means no sugar spike, and 100 means a sugar spike owing to pure glucose. A diabetic person must consume more low and medium-GI fruits or any other food groups. However, many fruits you consume daily have a low GI range; therefore, many varieties of fruits diabetics can eat.
Why Choose Redcliffe Labs?
Redcliffe Labs is India’s fastest growing diagnostics service provider having its home sample collection service in more than 220+ cities with 80+ labs across India.
NABL accredited labs
Most affordable Prices
Free Home Sample Pickup
Painless Sample Collection
Get Reports In 24 hours
Misconception regarding fruits
It is a misconception that diabetic patients cannot eat fruits as they contain carbohydrates and a form f natural sugar known as fructose, which can increase blood sugar levels. People should understand that fruits can still be part of your meal as they are fully packed with vitamins, minerals, and powerful plant compounds known as phytochemicals. Due to the presence of these phytochemicals consuming fruits can lower the risk of cancer and heart disease and is best for managing type 2 diabetes. Doctors recommend the best fruits for diabetics type 2 to people to help them manage the condition and to stay healthy. However, fruits raise blood sugar but counting the carbs you eat and balancing them with your diet, lifestyle choices, and exercise is necessary.
A healthy way to eat fruits
It is important to know what fruits are good for diabetics type 2 and to take smaller steps that can make a big difference in sugar levels. Below are some healthy ways to eat fruits for diabetes :
- People with the condition must note portion sizes, especially for dried fruits. However, eating dried fruit diabetes patients can but must not in excess. If you are confused about whether people with diabetes can eat dates, then yes, you can but in some specific amount.
- Always choose fresh fruits over frozen ones, as processed fruits or canned fruits are not good for people with type 2 diabetes. Always try to drink fresh fruit juice for diabetes as it will be of fresh fruits and contain less added flavors and sugars.
- While eating dried fruit or processed fruit, it is vital to check the label for the serving sizes and what ingredients it contains.
Pre Diabetic Screening Package
- Total no.of Tests - 35
- Quick Turn Around Time
- Reporting as per NABL ISO guidelines
List of fruits that a type 2 diabetes person must eat
Eating naturally sweeter things is the best you can have, but people with Type 2 diabetes have to keep a check on their diet to manage their blood sugar levels. They have to keep a check on the quality and variety of fruits that you can consume on a daily basis. If you have confusions regarding what to eat and what not or is pomegranate good for diabetes or not then you must check the below list of best fruits that a diabetic person can eat:
- Apples – an excellent choice
Apples are fully packed with fiber, making them one of the best fruits diabetics can eat . one medium size apple has only 95 calories, out of which 25 of carbs, and provides about 8.73 mg of DV. People with diabetes can eat it along with the peel as it benefits them.
- Berries – overloaded with antioxidants
Berries are another best fruit that diabetic people must include in their diet. It is considered the wonder fruit for type 2 diabetes patients. It is overloaded with antioxidants, fiber, and vitamin C and can be paired with yogurt, oatmeal, and many other things. There are many types of berries, like strawberries and blueberries, that can be included in the diet. One cup of fresh berries has about 84 calories; out of that, 21 are carbs.
- Peaches – vibrant and juicy
Nothing can beat the taste of vibrant and juicy peaches in any season. It contains bioactive compounds that can fight obesity-related diabetes. It is one of the great choices for people who wish to know what fruits are good for diabetics type 2. One medium peach contains about 59 calories, of which carbs are just 14 g. It is overloaded with vitamin C, potassium, and many other nutrients.
- Oranges – a dose of vitamin C
Oranges are super sweet but are best for people with type 2 diabetes, and nothing can replace them. One orange gives about 78 percent of vitamin C, and orange fruit juice for diabetes is also best, per the expert. You can also add many other citrus fruits to your diet, like grapefruit, as it helps manage the condition.
- Kiwi- a superfood
Kiwi is no less than a superfood for diabetes and is great to add to the daily diet. The fruit contains about 6 grams of sugar and is among the low calories fruits best for diabetes. It is a rich source of vitamin C and helps to increase immunity. It is fully packed with fiber and beneficial for digestive health too.
- Papaya- packed antioxidants
Papaya is among the best fruits for diabetes and is bright orange-yellow inside with a hard green, yellow peel. It is the best fruit for people with high glucose levels as it is fully packed with antioxidants, vitamins C, A, and E . it is best for people with constipation and improves digestion. It has a low glycemic index and is a powerhouse of antioxidants; thus is best for diabetic people.
- Plum – best way to stay hydrated
It is another best fruit for type 2 diabetes as it has a low glycemic index and contains fiber. It has many more health benefits as it boosts the production of a hormone called adiponectin which helps to lower the blood glucose level in the body. It is best to eat fresh plums as it also helps you to stay hydrated.
- Dragon fruit- exotic superfood
It is among the top fruits best for diabetic people and is known as an exotic superfood. As it has a lower GI and will never disrupt the body’s glucose level. It also helps reduce insulin resistance and is considered very effective in beating diabetes. It helps to cure fatty liver and is also best for cardiovascular functioning.
- Avocado- amazing fibrous fruit
Avocado is one of the amazing fruits diabetics can eat as it is fully packed with potassium and contains good fat. Good fat helps to reduce cholesterol levels and also supports cardiovascular health. It is best for people with diabetes as the fruit has a low glycemic index and is high in fiber. These two components in this fruit make it the best option for people having diabetes.
- Pineapple – full dose of vitamin
Pineapple is one of the delicious fruits that everybody loves to eat. It offers many benefits because it contains soluble and insoluble fiber. As it is low in calories, it is recommended for those who wish to lose weight. The fruit is fully packed with Vitamin C and has a medium glycemic index, making it a great option for people with diabetes. Just have it in moderation to get most of its benefits, as it is necessary to know the ideal serving size of the fruit.
1. Which fruits to avoid for people with diabetes?
People with diabetes have to avoid certain fruits that have a high glycemic index, like mangoes, dried fruits, sweetened cranberries, figs, lychees, and some fruit juices.
2. Can a person with diabetes eat dates?
Dates contain a unique nutrient profile but are sweet; however, they are fully packed with fiber that helps the body absorb its sugars slowly. If a person with diabetes eats them in moderation, they are a safe and healthy choice for consumption.
3. Is pomegranate good for diabetes?
Yes, diabetic people can eat pomegranate as it has a low glycemic index. The fruit is best for Type 2 diabetes as it helps to reduce insulin resistance and is fully packed with many antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
4. How much fruit can a person with diabetes eat daily?
Fruits are important for health because including them in your daily diet offers many health benefits. There are many fruits diabetics can eat, and some must be avoided. They must know how much fruit they can consume and what fruits they have to consume to stay healthy.
5. Can diabetes eat watermelon?
Watermelon is overfilled with fiber but has a high glycemic index. But since the load of the fruit is very low, just 2 percent in 100 grams, people with diabetes can have it in moderation.
6. How to control sugar levels naturally?
It is necessary to take care of your diet and do regular physical exercise to control your glucose level naturally. People with type 2 diabetes should lose weight, try to be physically active, and eat healthy fruits and veggies to control their glucose levels.
7. Is there any cure for diabetes?
Sadly diabetes has no cure for diabetes, but as per many studies, it is possible to reverse diabetes through diet changes and weight loss. You can reach and hold your glucose levels without medication with an active lifestyle and by avoiding certain food groups.
Prime Full body Check Up
- Total no.of Tests - 72
- Quick Turn Around Time
- Reporting as per NABL ISO guidelines
Type 2 diabetes cannot be cured but can be managed by a combination of many things, like consulting your doctor as he will prescribe medicine. In many cases, there is no need for insulin directly, as many manage it well without it. Also, with the help of physical exercise and dietary changes, people with this condition can manage it well. Consuming the best veggies and fruit for diabetes can help you manage the condition in a better way.