Food for Diabetes: Nourishing Options for Diabetic Living
Medically Reviewed By
Dr Sohini Sengupta
Written By Meenakshi
on Nov 8, 2023
Last Edit Made By Meenakshi
on Nov 8, 2023
Do you have diabetes? Well, first of all, you are not alone. In India alone, an estimated 101 million people are living with diabetes, and this figure represents only an approximation for the country. Globally, the number is even higher. We do understand that living with diabetes can be challenging, but the right diet and lifestyle choices can make a world of difference and help you manage effectively.
Proper nutrition has a significant role in diabetes management. If you have diabetes, understanding what to eat is crucial. In this blog, we'll explore the best foods to eat if you have diabetes to control your blood sugar and promote overall wellness. So, let's get started.
Top Foods For Diabetes:
- Vegetables: Being low in calories and packed with essential nutrients and fiber, Vegetables are a cornerstone of a diabetes-friendly diet that can manage your blood sugar levels effectively. Just make them a part of your diet for good health and better diabetes management.
Vegetables For Diabetes:
- Carrots: Being a non-starchy food, Carrots are the safest choice for people with diabetes, as it helps one feel full and satisfied.
- Leafy Greens: Green is the color of harmony and health, and now, when you know it can manage diabetes well, you have one more reason to add it to your plate.
- Broccoli and Cauliflower: Raise if you love Broccoli because it can be your best friend in diabetes management, thanks to its high fiber content.
- Bell Peppers: Their low carbohydrate content makes green bell peppers, particularly, a healthier choice for managing diabetes.
- Whole Grain: Whether you have diabetes or not, Whole Grains is the healthiest choice for managing blood glucose levels because of its low glycaemic index (GI).
Whole Grains For Diabetes:
- Oats: Oats or Oatmeal is the powerhouse food that can help manage diabetes well. So, make your breakfast light yet powerful, and oats are perfect for that.
- Brown Rice: According to some studies, consumption of Brown Rice in a moderate quantity can help you manage blood sugar better and avoid sudden blood glucose spikes after the meal.
- Quinoa: Don't be surprised by the fancy name; it is easily available in most grocery stores. It has a low GI, making it a perfect choice for individuals with diabetes.
- Healthy Fats: Fats can be friendly too! No, we are not lying. While not all fats are good for you, healthy fats in appropriate quantity are vital for not just managing blood sugar but for overall well-being. While you should limit your fat intake, including healthy fats in your diet is necessary for good health.
Healthy Fats For Diabetes:
- Chia Seeds: Packed with fiber, Chia seeds can help control blood sugar. It slows down the absorption of carbohydrates and enables you to manage the condition well.
- Avocado: If you are looking for a low-carb food in your diet, Avocado can greatly aid you in regulating blood sugar levels and maintaining vitality.
- Almonds: Love Almonds? If you don't, it's time you do, especially if you have diabetes. Being a rich source of healthy monounsaturated fats, fiber, and protein, their low GI ensures minimum impact on blood sugar levels.
- Walnuts: Also called brain nuts, Walnuts improve insulin sensitivity and reduce the risk of heart disease in people with diabetes.
- Low-Fat Dairy: If you want to keep dairy in your diet, choose low-fat or non-fat options, as it can help control blood sugar levels more effectively.
Low-Fat Dairy Products For Diabetes:
- Greek Yogurt: Due to the probiotics, Greek Yogurt can improve blood glucose and insulin levels.
- Low-fat cheese: It provides protein and calcium with fewer saturated fats, making it helpful in controlling blood sugar.
4) Fruits: While dessert for most diabetics is a big no-no, you can still have nature's dessert, fruits. However, it is essential to choose them wisely.
Fruits For Diabetes:
- Berries: Be it strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries, if you love berries, we have the good news: you can have it worry-free even if you have diabetes. However, their quantity should be discussed with doctors.
- Citrus Fruits: Besides being juicy, Citrus Fruits are a perfect choice for people with diabetes. This is because most citrus fruits contain soluble fiber, which helps regulate blood sugar levels.
- Apples: An apple daily keeps the diabetes not completely away but managed better. It can be a good snacking option and prevent spikes in blood sugar.
No matter what you eat, portion control is crucial when managing diabetes. Even healthy foods can affect blood sugar if consumed in excessive amounts. It's helpful to learn about serving sizes to keep portions in check.
Being a person with diabetes is not a death sentence; it is a disease, and it doesn't mean you have to sacrifice enjoying your meals. You have to be proactive about your choice. A balanced and thoughtful diet can help you manage your blood sugar levels effectively.
However, before you switch to any food choice and make them a part of your diet, remember their impact on your health can vary. Therefore, consulting your doctor or a registered dietitian is essential to ensure you make the right Diabetes-Friendly choice.
Besides eating right and portion control, another thing that can help manage diabetes is routine testing. It enables you to find how well your blood sugar levels are balanced and what adjustments (if any) are required.
For Routine Blood Sugar Testing, Choose Redcliffe Labs
Regarding routine blood sugar tests, HbA1c Test is the right choice. Redcliffe Labs is your partner in diagnostic to book a diabetes screening test or package at affordable rates. We have the most advanced diagnostic resources and a skilled team of professionals to provide precise diagnoses and accurate reports on time. So, book now.